Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Hang Up the Whole Next Day

7/30
"Faux-thropologie" shirt: thrifted in Austin w/my sister * Cardigan: UO * Jeans: Gap * Boots: Classique * Socks: Target * Fur collar: thrifted

One thing that I think I'm going to love about the 30/30 challenge is remixing pieces for both work and weekend wear. I definitely don't have a strict "professional" wardrobe, by any means, but I tend to reach for things, on Saturdays and Sundays, that I don't tend to wear during the work week. It's a nice way to feel distanced from work, so I've never thought to change it. But remixing and re-purposing work clothes for the weekend, and vice versa, has been a surprisingly satisfying way to renew creativity in my sartorial choices. This adorable blouse, for example, has been long relegated into the land of work wear, but I adore how it looks with a more casual ensemble.

7/30

I didn't originally have a pair of jeans in my 30, but quickly realized that that would be a big mistake. At heart, I think I'm still a jeans and a t-shirt gal. I can't tell you how much I loved the recent picture on the Sartorialist with the woman wearing dark jeans, a simple sweater, and Dansko clogs. This was my "uniform" for many years, and is still my go-to outfit when I just want something easy, comfortable, and comforting. I still wear my Danskos everyday for my mile-long walk to and from work (except for on snow days, when I bust out the duck boots).

7/30
7/30

However, I've also really loved experiencing the subtle shifts from that simple uniform. What started as dark jeans that were one or two sizes too big has morphed into a pair of denim that truly fits. My band t-shirts and graphic tees have transformed into softer layers, augmented by scarves and cardigans. And though I do truly love my Danskos, and always will, I've happily branched out into boots, flats, and heels that are still comfortable and "me" while adding a little oomph to the ensemble. This outfit in particular is a perfect example of this most recent stage in the evolution of my casual weekend outfit.*

How have you seen your style morph and change over the years? Do you think it's an age thing? A blog thing? What elements of your previous personal style do you still hold on to?

7/30

*To be fair, if I was really going anywhere on this day, other than to the store for toilet paper, I probably would have worn the duck boots or Danskos. :)

Title song: Bob Dylan, "One More Weekend"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...