Wednesday, February 24, 2010

It Hasn't Been the First Time

IMG_3551
Plaid shirt: Macy's, remixed * Green sweater: Old Navy, remixed * Corduroy skirt: Old Navy, remixed * Tights: L'eggs * Red t-straps: Clarks * Necklace: market in Chile, remixed * Ring: gift, remixed

I don't have a full-length mirror in our apartment. This is not because of any conscious decision, but when Joe and I moved in together, neither of us had one, and we just never got around to buying one. I often stare at my closet door longingly, wishing that there was a simple pane of reflective glass mounted to it, but alas, it is just a door. Most of the time it's fine. I have a pretty good sense of what works and what doesn't, so I don't often need a full-body scan before I leave the house. On the days when I'm feeling really insecure I'll take a quick photo to get an idea, but it's not quite the same. This was neither of those days. I was neither overly-confident nor super insecure about this particular outfit, so I didn't bother to check before leaving the house. Now, you might be thinking that this paragraph about full-length mirrors is leading up to a grand statement about how disappointed I was with this outfit when I finally saw it. Quite the opposite, however! I knew I liked this outfit, and I knew it looked pretty good, but I was pleasantly surprised when I finally saw the pictures. This outfit had a delightful nerdy-chic vibe to it that I hadn't expected in the course of the day. I can't decide if I even want a full-length mirror now; I kind of liked the surprise!

IMG_3550

Speaking of nerdy-chic, I've been meaning to do a post about books for quite awhile. I've been an avid reader all my life. I used to stay up late at nights, reading whenever I couldn't sleep. I went through series and series of books, some on the sillier side (The Babysitter's Club, The Boxcar Children, the Redwall series), but some of the classics, too. It was hard for me that once I started college I had less time to read. I mean, I was doing tons of reading for class, but I didn't have time for the kind of reading-for-pleasure that I did as a kid. Recently, since I've started to work full-time, I've enjoyed having real free time in the evenings and weekends, time that isn't consumed by homework or papers or extracurriculars (oh, who am I kidding? I was about the least involved student, other than with schoolwork). I actually have time to read, and revisit some of my old favorites. I read Catcher in the Rye when I was probably 11, and I remember absolutely loving it. I didn't understand most of it, and I'm sure I missed major themes, details, and so-called "adult" content, but it stuck with me for years as one of my favorite books. I've read it multiple times since then, and it's never lost its splendor for me. The literary world lost something very special when J.D. Salinger passed away last month. What about all of you: any literary heroes of yours? Wordsmiths that you hope beyond hope to be able to emulate someday? Books you want to recommend?

IMG_3549

Title song: Green Day, "Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...