Sunday, June 28, 2009

If this Town Is Just an Apple Then Let Me Take a Bite


Outfit details:
Blue/white rugby polo: Old Navy, remixed
Gray jersey scarf (worn as skirt): Old Navy
Tan braided leather belt: TJ Maxx, remixed
Gold ballet flats: Target, remixed

Where:
Taste of Chicago, going-away party at Huettenbar for a dear friend

Yesterday was a busy, crazy day! For most of the afternoon and evening I wore the outfit above, but I actually ended up changing a couple of times before that, so bear with me.

I wanted something casual and comfy while still interesting and maybe a bit sexy. Joe had been vying for days for me to wear this rugby-striped polo, but neither of us could think of anything to go with both the shirt and the heat, so it kept getting set back on the dresser to be saved for later. I wanted a neutral, light and comfy skirt to pair with, but sadly, none were to be found. In a welcome break from a few days of feeling uninspired, I realized that I have a gray jersey scarf that, if wrapped and belted properly, could easily double as a skirt! And voila!

In the first version of the scarf/skirt (scart? skirf?), I wrapped the scarf over my shirt and belted it, pairing the whole ensemble with my beloved Lela Rose for Payless wedges (outfit to the right). After none too long, however, I realized that 4" heels do not happy feet make, and I opted for my flats for our Taste of Chicago outing. After untucking the shirt as well and belting it on the outside, I think I actually like the more casual version better (though my legs looked great in those heels!). Which is your fave? Have any of you ventured into skirf territory? Once I stopped repeating to myself that I wasn't wearing any pants, I actually quite enjoyed it, and was happy to get some summer use out of my beloved scarf collection.


Taste of delicious!!

But before all this...

Outfit details:
Maroon tunic tank: Old Navy
Linen cuffed shorts: Forever 21
Floppy sun hat: Target
Rope sandals: Old Navy

Where:
Breakfast, farmer's market

It was Saturday, and it's officially Farmers' Market season, so I felt like putting on my best (only!) floppy hat and buying some veggies. We hit gold again this week with crisp fresh arugula, baby leaf lettuce, radishes, snap peas, bing cherries, and unbelieveable raspberries. The only mishap was that as I carried the raspberries home in our canvas bag, a few squirmed out of their box and left an unfortunate pink stain on my new shorts! Luckily, with a hearty dose of Arm and Hammer, the shorts are none the worse for wear.

I feel only mediocre about this outfit, but I decided that I cared much more about my tasty vegetables than my fashion sense. Sometimes, style must take a backseat to stands full of herbs, berries, honey, and kohlrabi. It was a lovely morning. Plus, on the way home, we saw this spinning in front of our local grocery store:


Sort of bizarre, no?

Title song: Michael Jackson, "Human Nature"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...