Tuesday, March 29, 2011

She's Only Just Gone

Mar. 26
Blouse: vintage, thrifted * Jacket: thrifted * Jeans: Old Navy * Boots: Target * Belt: thrifted * Ring: gift * Glasses: Warby Parker

Who has two thumbs and loves that non-skinny jeans are back in style? *points thumbs at chest* This guy. Seriously, though I do love the skinny jean, and think it's utterly rad for many outfits and styles, I gotta say that I've been missing my standard bootcut denim. To me, there's something perfectly casual chic about bootcut jeans, and I've been happily brainstorming outfit ideas around a few of my old pairs. (Also, just as a caveat: I know I can wear these jeans whether or not they're in style. It's not like I've been sitting around, waiting for the fashion police to call and tell me I can bust out my flares again. I guess I just haven't thought about them for awhile, so when I noticed that they're coming back, in a big way, I remembered how fond of them I am. So there.)

Mar. 26
Mar. 26

I've had this particular pair for years, and have always worn them in much more casual ensembles, with my Danskos and a t-shirt or pullover sweater. This weekend, I thought it might be interesting to pair them with a few pieces that are a bit more pulled together and somewhat reminiscent of the '70s style that also seems to be on the upswing this year. I just love the sort of geeky professorial vibe that this outfit ended up having. I'd wear it every day if I could.

Mar. 26Mar. 26

This vintage blouse, from what I can tell, is covered with a pattern of twin bugles. It's very weird. But totally awesome. And this blazer? Seriously, sometimes I think that this blazer is the ultimate in geek chic. Joe and I have agreed that he's not allowed to own an elbow-patch blazer until he finishes his PhD, but there are no such regulations for those of us who have not signed our lives away to the academy. So elbow patches it is, for me at least.

Mar. 26
Mar. 26

And I'm also happy to introduce you to my new specs! I was feeling the urge for a new style of glasses, but with my terrible prescription I was super hesitant to get another pair if I didn't absolutely need it. My glasses are usually upwards of $400, so it's not an investment I take lightly. But I've been lusting after the affordable, adorable frames at Warby Parker, and finally succumbed to the under-$100 price tag. I'm so glad I did. I love my new geeky glasses!

Mar. 26

Title song: Damien Rice, "The Professor"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...