Thursday, October 1, 2009

Because She Does It's Not the Same Room

IMG_1414
Outfit details:
Purple shirt: Paix
Gray wool skirt: Banana Republic, thrifted
Gray chevron tights: Target
Wedges: Old Navy, recently remixed
Birds-on-a-branch necklace: made by me!

Where:
Work

This is one of the first necklaces I made, and I really love it. I particularly like the delicate multiple silver chains, but I'm also a huge fan of the adorable little birds. It felt very delicate and feminine today, which kind of complimented the retro feel of the skirt. If you love it too, be sure to enter the contest to win one of my necklaces for yourself!!

IMG_1423

I felt pretty old school in this outfit today. This wool skirt is totally delightful, lined, with pockets, and has a distinctly 50s feel to it. For awhile I considered bringing up the hem, since it hits me at a length that isn't always flattering, but after today I think I'm okay with it. Wearing it with big ol' platform wedges made a leg-lengthening difference!

IMG_1408

One thing I'd like to mention here is sizing. I won't go all into it, because I think Sal is much more articulate on this topic than I am, but I want to take a second to call to attention the inherent problems in the way women's clothing is sized. This Banana Republic skirt is a size 0, most of my Old Navy stuff is a size 2, I'm a size 6 or 7 at Forever 21, and the H&M skirt I wore yesterday is a size 8. None of these numbers represent my size, shape, or self-esteem, yet they are the numbers that I am forced to reference when I look for new clothes. I tried to explain this to Joe this morning, and he expressed his confusion with the whole women's clothing sizing system, noting how men's clothing is all sized by actual measurements, not some arbitrary numbers designed to enhance marketing strategies. I can only hope that other women out there understand the arbitrariness of the numbers printed on their garments, and base their self-esteem and sense of beauty off of what is real, not what a marketing rep wants them to believe about themselves. In Sal's words (because truly, are there any better?), they are all already pretty.

IMG_1418

Title song: Ben Folds, "Fired"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...